Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving, WTF is up with early Christmas stuff, and Black Friday

Well, it’s the holidays… Happy Holidays people! Long time no blogging! I’ve been so damn busy lately that it’s not funny… Yay for senior year of college, being pregnant, chasing a toddler around, and keeping up with the house.

So, this is my first Thanksgiving where I have been graced with the chance to make dishes for the big meal! I have been asking for YEARS to make dishes to go with Turkey Day for over 6 years, and have always been turned down. Well, this year, my grandmother is hurt, her back is messed up, and my mother has a broken ankle and leg. They can’t do a lot of cooking. Hence, I have been tapped.

I’m pretty excited, I have 3 dishes I’m making. One is my own take on my mother’s broccoli and cheese recipe. Another is homemade pumpkin pie. And the last one is a sweet potato casserole. And they look and sound delicious. I have been waiting to try and make some sides for this holiday for so long… I’m starting to bake around 3, since each pie takes an hour and the casserole takes an hour and 45 minutes total to finish.

I’d be panicking, if I wasn’t all but done with my college work. I mean seriously, I have my Reflection packet and my Presentation to do this weekend in my Internship class, and a book box to finish in my Teaching Literacy to Young Children class… other than that? Done. All of my other assignments are all finished. That stuff will literally take me 3 hours to do. Mind you, the month before that, before I sat and busted  my ass to get all of my assignments done, I had a TON to do. But, that’s the way senior year goes. Always busy.

Anyhow, has anyone else noticed that Christmas has already hit the stores?? Jeeze… a little early, people! And I admit, I get annoyed with Christmas coming as early as October 20th. And yes, that’s when it hit the stores here. You know when, traditionally, my family puts up the tree? Black Friday. The day most hypocritical people are out trying to fight and bicker for the best deal on a TV, or an Ipod, the day after being thankful for what they already have. That’s the day I spend time with the family and put up the tree, decorate the house, etc.

So, is it that hard to go and wait to put up Christmas things? I don’t think so.

Do I wear Christmas shirts before December? Yep. But my house stays bare of all holiday decorations. Hell, I found a radio station that I usually listen to ALL the time, playing nothing but Christmas music. A week before Thanksgiving. Ugh.


Anyhow… be thankful for what you have this holiday season. Be grateful, if you do go out for Black Friday, or worse, Thanksgiving Day Shopping, that there’s anyone willing to take time away from their families to make sure you get that Xbox or PS4. Tell people Happy Holidays if nothing else. Be courteous. Don’t be an asshole and get rude to people who you’re never going to see again. But all in all, spend time with your loved ones, be merry, and enjoy your turkey, tofurkey, or whatever you eat on Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment