Friday, February 26, 2016

Mama Bear is PISSED! (Discrimination against my child)

So, yes it's been a while, but we've had a long few months.

I feel, now, a need to vent. But first I need to explain. 

Yes, I am in THIS mode right now. Coffee no longer calms me. Watch out.

Rayne was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD a few days ago. Which, to be fair, her father and I were expecting. She also has a stutter that has been diagnosed and will be seeing speech therapy. Now, I have been speaking to the teachers off and on all school year about this, and they told me many times, she is fine, we notice nothing that encompasses these problems you seem to notice… Well, you know me, I don't take that as an answer, so when it got so bad that my daughter started to cry because she couldn't 'talk right' (her words… ), I took her to the doctor, and they spotted her stutter immediately. Jump forward a week, and her teacher tells me that, suddenly, her behavior in school is so bad that she is getting yellow or red on her behavior chart every day almost, and therefore, needs to see the doctor. I took her, and they told me she has pretty clear ADHD symptoms, including impulsivity, uncontrollable fidgeting, and more. We're NOT medicating, I don't believe in medicating kids for ADHD unless it's a LAST resort.

 

I took the paperwork to the school, and asked about accommodations. Apparently, because she is academically GIFTED and not failing, there are no accommodations. (She tests at a Kindergarten, and some in a 1st grade level)

I spoke to Chloe's therapist, and while she agrees that Rayne does not qualify for an IEP, she DOES qualify for a 504 plan, which is, by definition, "The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.”

She is in Pre-k, that counts as elementary, and she needs accommodations to help her with her impulsive behavior. She qualifies for a 504 plan.

So, I go back to her school and confront her principal about this. She LIES to me, and tells me that 504 plans are ONLY for testing, and that Pre-k does NOT do 504 plans. 



Lies. LIES.

A- Pre-K is considered to be part of Elementary school. Kids there CAN get a 504 plan!

B- 504 plans are not just tools to help with testing, that is an IEP, they are geared more for testing.

So, she thinks I'm an idiot, or she just doesn't think I'll push the subject. But if there's anything you know about me, it's that I am a serious advocate for my daughters. I will get her the accommodations she is ENTITLED to under the law. And yes, under the Americans with Disabilities Act, she is entitled to those accommodations.


My next step is the school board. And I WILL win under due process. They're discriminating against my kid based on her behavior, and not helping her based on her needs like they should. It's still one of those things that get angry and annoyed about! Why, just because she is in pre-k, do they act like she isn't entitled to help!? She is!

So, watch your backs, school board. Because this mama bear is getting ready to throw her porridge all over your stupid heads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment