Saturday, May 4, 2013

Iron Man 3- Review *SPOILER ALERT*


So… Iron Man 3. Not going to lie, I’ve been excited about this movie since Iron Man 2 was premiering. I’ve been dying to see Tony Stark don the Iron Man suit once again. Saw who the villain was going to be, and got drippy with excitement! I LOVE the Mandarin as a villain in the comics! This will be epic, right?

Fucking wrong. I think it’s the worst thing Marvel’s had it’s name on since X-Men: The Last Stand. I LOVE Marvel. I will defend Marvel until the day I die on many of their decisions… this movie’s plot is not one of those decisions. Let me explain why before the fanboys get out their pitchforks and torches.

Note: Obviously, there’s going to be some spoilers ahead. Don’t read if you haven’t seen it and don’t want to be spoiled.

I warned you.


Well, the plot felt forced.  It was pushing things to work, it was forcing in action where it wasn’t needed. What the producer and director needs to understand, is that not everyone comes to a comic book movie to see big booms and crashes and explosions. Some of us come, nerdy as this sounds, for the characters, for the story. We want to see the main characters find love or win or whatever. We want more than action, we want suspense, romance, thrills! The movie felt like they shoved a bunch of explosions into inopportune spots and called it a day. That KILLED it for me.


Second, the Mandarin SUCKED. And I mean, seriously, it sucked. He was nothing like his badass comic counterpart, and that was NOT a good thing. I felt cheated when I found out exactly what was going on with him. It was like when they screwed up the Phoenix in X3. Left a bad taste in my mouth.


Third, if you can’t do something right, something the way the comics did it, or similar at least, then DON’T DO IT. The Iron Patriot was supposed to be a BAD guy at first…Norman Osborne to be exact. It was a storyline all in it’s own right. And instead, they made it a simple color change and weapons upgrade. Seriously… that’s just shitty to fans of the comics…


All 3 of those things really killed it for me. However… it did have some redemption in  Pepper Potts. She FINALLY became a bit of a badass, and got to use the Iron Man suit. Could Rescue, Pepper’s very own suit, be in the series future? And she kicked ass at the end of the movie with the Extremis in her veins. That made me smile, a LOT. And Tony Stark with that kid, trying to fix his armor… that was pretty cool. 



All in all though, it didn’t have the same feel that the other movies had… and that feel was what made them unique and special. It’s worth watching, don’t get me wrong, just, in my opinion, not worth paying to see. I’d wait until it came out on DVD, then either buy it or rent it from Redbox. 

2 comments:

  1. I still have to go with DH & DS to see it. We are big ass nerds over here lol. UGH sucks though that it wasn't what you thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah not even going to lie, I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't great, but glad we didn't pay to go see it. I watched it on Wednesday or Thursday, lol.

    ReplyDelete