Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hobby Lobby vs Free Birth Control


Ok, so this is a topic that I’ve noticed a lot of mixed opinions on. Heck, my other half and I had a 30 minute discussion about this the other day and what we thought about it.  Hobby Lobby is fighting the Affordable Care Act and trying to make it so that they don’t have to cover Plan B and other similar forms of birth control. They say that, based on their religious beliefs, they should not have to cover this.



This time, I think religion should win.

Now, I’m not for having religion in schools and stuff like that. I don’t think kids should be forced into a religion at birth, and should have a broad exposure to religion as children to make their own choices when they are old enough to understand it.

But I am so against making a company, knowingly run by Christians, cover something that their religious beliefs are so completely against, that it’s not even funny. I could not even fathom forcing someone into doing what I think, just on the guise of ‘it’s the law now’. Just because it’s law, does not make it right.

Note, I’m not against ALL of the Affordable Healthcare Act; Just certain parts of it, like forcing people to get insurance, or else… and this… and other things.

I am huge on freedom of religion. I’m not a traditional religion myself, so seeing something forced on other religions really pisses me off. I even hate seeing things forced on Christians, and that is exactly what’s happening.

Tell me this… why do you NEED free birth control?



It costs 10 bucks at Walmart for the pill. The health department or Planned Parenthood has bowls of condoms to grab, for FREE, in their clinics.

Why should your Nuva-Ring, or Implanon, or other convenience birth control methods, be free of charge? Cheaper, yes, it should be cheaper. But not free.

My grandmother pays out the rear for her medications… and you think that your free birth control is more important than her getting her heart medicine for the same? Why should your convenience medication be free, when her life-sustaining medicine costs so much?

It shouldn’t.



And that is my biggest issue with all of this. We’re being entitled again. We think that our medicine to make us have safe sex, is more important than the elderly getting their medications with the same price tag. Why is no one protesting the fact that heart medications and diabetes medications and things of that nature are so expensive that our elderly are living in poor conditions and scrounging to get by? 

Because it doesn’t affect us directly, so we don’t care.

It’s wrong. And I personally am tired of it.

Do I think Hobby Lobby and Christianity has some tired ideals? Oh you better believe it. But I do think they should have the right to refuse paying for some birth control options, and I do think that we need to worry more about the elderly before we worry about something as trivial as birth control.


One day, you are going to need these expensive, life-saving medicines… and  then you’ll understand the reason that I’m so heated about this. Then, you’ll be protesting about those medicines going up in price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment