Friday, December 20, 2013

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty FIRED!

Ok, so this is a HOT topic right now. Phil Robertson, of Duck Dynasty fame, has been fired for some remarks he made on homosexuality in a GQ interview. He was quoted as saying “It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus," Robertson says in the January issue of the men's magazine. "That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical." And “"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there," he says. "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

For whatever reason... this guy is popular...
I'm not a fan of the show, so what would
I know?
He then went back and said that he didn’t mean it like that and that it was taken out of context or something. (Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight…. Sure you didn’t)

Where to begin with this…

First off, despite what I think personally, he’s entitled to his opinion, even if I personally do think it’s crap. I think we have the ability as humans to NOT watch the TV if he offends us, and just change the damn channel instead of being up in arms.

HOWEVER…

I agree with A&E’s decision to suspend him indefinitely. (C’mon people… he’s been fired. Just call it what it is and stop sugarcoating it.)

Why?

Because, they have the RIGHT to do so! I don’t care what he says, or what he does in his personal time. But once you are in front of a camera, you are held to a higher standard. You sign a contract. And I’m sure in that contract, there is a clause about what you can or cannot say to the press. (This is A&E we’re talking about, not PBS. I’m sure that’s in their paperwork) And you follow what they tell you when you are getting a paycheck from them.
See this? It's called a contract. You sign this, and
you do what they tell you, and say what
they let you say. Like it or not.

I support the right of a business to decide who they serve. Like that bakery who refused a gay couple a wedding cake, and got court ordered to do it anyways. I don’t agree with their message or idea, but I agree with them getting to choose who they want to serve. There are many other bakeries that would have been glad to make that cake, it wouldn’t have hurt anyone to go to one of them. Same thing applies here.

I don’t agree with Phil Robertson. His Bible is not EVERYONE’s Bible, it’s not the ‘Holy Word’ of the whole world, and he should not expect everyone to think what he does. And I sincerely doubt his ‘Loving God’ would be happy about all of the judgment and hellfire that they’re spouting.  You can make a rebuttal statement saying you didn’t mean it like that all you want, but when you’ve been filmed saying the same thing and WORSE while preaching before… yeah. Not buying it. That’s called apologizing or rewording your statement to try and save your ass. Nothing more.

But I don’t CARE what he thinks. Just like I don’t care what people think about unmarried couples, or what they think about other religions. It does NOT affect me. It therefore does not bother me.

But it DOES affect A&E and their brand. And if he can’t censor himself for a simple interview, despite what he was being asked, then they CAN hold that against him. This is the channel that brought us Queer Eye for the Straight Guy if I’m not mistaken, for crying out loud! Did he REALLY think that opening his mouth like that would come with no repercussions?? C’mon!

A&E has a standard to uphold, and this didn’t happen because he believes in God or the Bible and feels like he does. It happened because he opened his mouth and said things like he did in an INTERVIEW with GQ.

They don’t want to compromise their beliefs? That’s cool. But don’t expect A&E to put up with some of it forever, especially when they’ve been warning you about it for a WHILE now. And by some of it, I mean the things like what he did the other day.

In the same interview, he made racially charged comments about how he never heard black people complaining in the Jim Crow south, too. And people think that’s OK? Jeez, it’s like lemmings! Because this popular celebrity figure does something stupid, we think we need to stand behind him, because, you know, it’s all about his RELIGION and not about the crap he’s saying and how it can damage the brand of the company that airs his show! It’s all about his religion!
 
Pagan Traditions: Bringing
Christmas to a city near you!
This ‘War on Christianity’ crap is getting so old. My religion had people burned at the damn stake by Christians. Christians took over TONS of our traditions and warped them for their own faith… like the Yule Log, the Christmas Tree, the DAY Jesus’s Birth is celebrated on, EASTER and the Easter Bunny… the list goes on. And if you don’t believe me, look it up. All of those things are based off of Pagan traditions. Jesus’s birthday wasn’t even ON December 25, it was sometime in August or September. Look it up. Seriously. Some of the stuff that’s been used as Christian traditions came from Pagan holidays and traditions.

I hope that puts things into perspective a little bit. If anything, there’s been wars on religions, as people are putting it, for YEARS now, but it sure hasn’t been about Christianity. Christians are just getting mad about the fact that Christianity is no longer the big dog in the kennel when it comes to religion. TONS of other religions are picking up steam in the US. It’s not all about one religion anymore. And that is driving the more extreme Christians NUTS.

Anyhow, that’s off topic. Simply putting it, I agree with A&E’s decision. I support the firing of Phil. And I think people need to think about it more from a business perspective and less of a religious one.


Happy Holidays everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment