Sunday, August 16, 2015

When it rains it pours...

We need prayers, positive thoughts, and whatever you have to offer.

On Wed last week, my grandfather had a spell. I knew it was bad, I was on the phone with my grandmother when it happened… I suspected it was really bad, but I called my mother and told her to call them in 15 minutes to check up on them. Well, he ended up in an ambulance to the ER, covered in sweat, heard a pop in his head, and dizzy, unable to walk, and weak. He was so weak…


I finally got to see him after being in the ER waiting for 3 hours. I’m one of those grandkids who will head to the hospital when my grandparents are in the hospital, I’ll be damned if anyone will stop me. It was the weakest I have ever seen him. He was so tired, slurring his speech, in and out of consciousness.

I suggested heart attack or stroke. I was rebuffed.

A day later, he’s not much better. He’s still weak, dizzy, sick… slurring his words a bit more… I visited twice, and he was never any better… That was the day my baby girl started school by the way…

My baby visiting her Poppie.


A day later and there’s talk of sending him home. No diagnosis, just, well, we’ll send you home, your heart seems better. What the fuck. I talk to my grandmother… tell her that he hasn’t even been made to walk yet, so how can they send him home? She says that the Dr. is monitoring him, that they know what to do.

They try and get him to walk and he almost falls all over the floor. He’s shuffling, not lifting his feet, and has no idea he’s doing it. He needed 2 nurses and a walker to even move a small distance.

Well, he wasn’t going home.

A day later, they FINALLY do an MRI to check for stroke.

Guess what. It was a stroke.

So, he’s not doing well. In fact he has damage to the part of the brain that controls his motor function, hence the weakness and difficulty walking. We don’t know how much he will recover, if he will recover. He will have to go to a rehabilitation clinic to regain his strength, and then after that, either home, which we hope, or possibly a nursing home, if he cannot regain the ability to walk and is still extremely weak.


We do not know the final outcomes of any of this yet. All we do know is that things are not great.

And add onto that, my youngest is about to have surgery to put tubes in her ears tomorrow, and a week later she goes to her immunologist for what we hope is a final diagnosis determining what immunoglobulin/immune disorder she has.  So we have that tacked on.

And we’re broke this week, due to all the hospitals and Dr. appointments we have to go to. So there’s that too.

All in all… I don’t normally ask this, but please send my grandpa, and my youngest kiddo, some prayers and some positive thoughts. They sure could use them…


No comments:

Post a Comment